How to Clean & Care for your Boston Scally Cap and Flat Cap August 03 2023
Boston Scally Cap (Flat Cap) Care Instructions:
- Spot Cleaning: For small stains or dirt on your flat cap, use a damp cloth or sponge with mild soap or detergent to gently scrub the affected area. Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach as they may damage the fabric.
- Hand Washing: If the cap requires more thorough cleaning, you can hand wash it. Fill a basin or sink with cold water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Gently agitate the water to create suds.
- Soak and Rinse: Immerse the flat cap in the soapy water and let it soak for a few minutes. Sometimes a delicate wash cycle can help. Then, gently rub the fabric with your hands to remove any dirt or stains. Rinse the cap thoroughly with cold water until all the soap is removed.
- Drying: Do not wring or twist the flat cap, as it may lose its shape. Instead, gently press the water out of the cap. Lay it flat on a clean towel and reshape it to its original form. Allow it to air dry away from direct sunlight or heat sources. A low tumble dry may also work.
- Steam to Remove Wrinkles and Keep For Fit: To remove wrinkles and maintain the cap's shape, you can use a handheld fabric steamer. Hold the steamer a few inches away from the flat cap and steam the fabric, being careful not to overdo it in one spot.
- Ironing: Alternatively, you can use a steam iron with low heat and hold it just above the flat cap, allowing the steam to penetrate the fabric. Do not place the iron directly on the cap to avoid scorching or damaging the material.
- When not in use, store your flat cap in a cool, dry place to prevent mildew and odors.
- Avoid hanging the cap by its brim, as it may lose its shape over time. Instead, lay it flat or stuff the inside with tissue paper to help it keep its form.
We always recommend to spot clean first and then, if necessary, follow up with a conservative approach such as a delicate wash with low tumble or air dry so that your Boston Scally Cap can last a very long time. By following these care instructions, you can keep your flat cap looking great and extend its lifespan.